American Express Virtual Jobs
American Express virtual jobs offer telecommuters an opportunity to be a part of a company that provides first-class service to a global audience. The way American Express caters to its customers is not lost on their employees.
American Express Virtual Career Opportunities
You may know of American Express as the credit card company, but did you know they also operate a travel network for both consumers and businesses?
If you didn’t, you’re probably unaware that American Express routinely hires Travel Counselors. And the best part? These positions are all American Express Virtual Jobs.
As I type this, there are 854 results globally for American Express virtual jobs. Many of these opportunities are work from home, but require candidates to live in a certain location. However, two opportunities are open to most workers across the United States:
- Travel Counselor
- Customer Care Representative
This post focuses on the Travel Counselor position. You can learn more about the Customer Care Representative position here.
American Express Virtual Jobs: Travel Counselor
American Express entered the travel business back in 1915. Since then, it’s been their goal to help their Card Members not just travel, but experience the world.
As a Travel Counselor, you will work with Card Members to create extraordinary travel experiences for them. Travel Counselors just don’t book flights, hotels, and rental cars. They ask pertinent questions, establish rapport, and use their existing travel industry knowledge to make personalized recommendations.
Essentially, the job requires you to match up Card Members’ requests with available offers to create a one-of-a-kind travel arrangement.
Additional key responsibilities include:
- Make domestic and international travel arrangements
- Handle Card Member travel experiences from beginning to end
- Stay current on travel trends
- Maintain and grow personal destination knowledge
- Be innovative when addressing Card Member concerns/issues/problems
American Express Travel Counselor Qualifications
The most important qualification you need to have is prior travel experience. This includes two years of selling domestic and international travel as well as booking flights (car rental and hotel booking experience is preferred!).
You should also have in-depth knowledge of the travel industry and keep current on emerging destination locations.
Some of the additional core qualifications include:
- Call center experience
- Familiarity with reservation programs like GDS and Sabre
- Ability to develop rapport with Card Members
- Strong writing skills for email communication
- Prior sales experience
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Flexible availability
- Able to take constructive criticism
American Express Travel Counselor Benefits
As employee positions, many of the American Express virtual jobs offer benefits. The Travel Counselor position is no exception. To go along with a competitive salary, American Express offers some nice benefits:
- Cash incentive bonus and recognition program
- Insurance from Day 1 (medical, dental vision)
- Pet insurance
- Legal assistance
- Generous vacation time
- Life and disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement program
- Dependent care reimbursement program
American Express Virtual Jobs Home Office Setup
Since the American Express virtual jobs are strictly from home, you must have an adequate home office setup. So, what exactly does that mean?
First, you will need to provide access to your home office to an American Express representative. They will conduct yearly audits of your space to make sure that it complies with their home office standards. Things they’ll be checking for are the workplace environment, work area, and your computer workstation.
- Test outlets and make sure your electrical system can handle grounded electrical equipment
- No electrical hazards exist (frayed or loose wires, exposed wires, bare conductors)
- Large enough space to permit a home office setup
- Must provide specifications of size and location of home office
- DSL or cable Internet (provided by American Express)
- Dedicated landline (also provided by American Express)
Before you apply for American Express virtual jobs, your home should already have or be able to be outfitted with the equipment needed to perform the job. As part of the application process, you will have to attest to this fact.
What else to know about the American Express Travel Counselor position
Some additional requirements…
All candidates must undergo and successfully complete a background verification check. You must also have a flexible schedule and be available for shifts between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. Monday through Sunday. These hours are subject to change during busier times of the year.
Something unique about American Express virtual jobs is the option to “Get Referred.” The Get Referred program lets you search your social and professional networks for current American Express employees. If you know someone who is, you can ask them to refer you to any open positions.
Travel Counselor Job at a Glance
Status: Full time
Pay: Base plus performance bonus
Benefits: Yes (as elected by employee)
Schedule: Varies; Monday through Sunday 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. local time
If you have prior travel experience and understand how to provide a “luxury” customer service experience, this position may be a good fit for you. You can apply for this, and other American Express Virtual Jobs, here.